Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
If you love Falafel or have never had it before, you’re in the right place! Falafel is traditionally Middle Eastern, little balls of chickpea and fresh herb deliciousness. You can have Falafel on so many different dishes such as wraps, sandwiches, salads, or just on their own! These are also naturally gluten free and vegan if that’s your cup of tea.
Making Falafel at home isn’t too easy, especially for first timers. But this recipe will have you feeling like a pro right away.
What You’ll Need:
200 g chick peas, soaked overnight (canned are fine if you’re in a hurry)
1/4 cup chickpea flour or regular flour
1 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup parsley
1 medium red onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
* Serve with Lemon Garlic Dressing to taste
1. Drain chickpeas and place in a food processor.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, minus the Dressing, and process until well combined. About 2-3 minutes should do the trick. Scrape down the sides as needed.
3. Place the mixture into.a bowl and using an ice cream scoop, shape into little balls and place on a tray. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
4. In a large pot, heat up your oil of choice (we recommend avocado oil for this). Place a falafel ball onto a spoon and carefully place into the oil. Cook in batches for about 3-4 minutes or until golden and super crispy on the outside.
5. Once they are ready, remove and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Repeat with remaining falafel mixture.
6. Top off with Lemon Garlic Dressing when ready to serve.