If you’ve ever dined at a Lebanese restaurant, we hope you got the chance to try the traditional red lentil soup. It is a delicious dish that is perfect for these cold winter days, full of flavour and warmth. But did you know there are only seven ingredients? This easy soup embodies the saying “less is more”, and we hope this recipe will become a staple in your dinner or lunch rotation!
2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
5 cups water
½ of a large onion (Spanish or White)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Add rinsed and drained red lentils to a stovetop pot with the 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then add salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Stir occasionally until the lentils are fully cooked and the soup thickens.
- In another pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent.
- Blend the cooked onion with 2 cups of the soup in a food processor or blender then add back to the pot.
- Serve with drizzled lemon juice and crushed Sea Salt & Pepper Pita Chips on top.