Sea Salt Vs Table salt
Salt is an incredibly simple and ancient ingredient that enhances savory and sweet foods alike to extravagant levels. We all know too much salt can be a problem, but what a lot of people don’t know, is that salt can have a lot of health benefits, and not all Salt is created equal. In this article, we are going to breakdown the difference between Sea Salt and Table Salt, and how they differ in health benefits, and why we chose to opt for using sea salt in majority of our products.
How they are made
Table salt is extracted from mining salt deposits, usually underground. Manufacturers then have it go through heavy processing to get rid of minerals and and to refine it into a fine crystal that is easy to mix in food. This salt also usually contains additives with the goal of keeping it from clumping together.
Sea salt is made from the evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes. As opposed to table salt, this is done with minimal processing. Due to this, sea salt tends to have many beneficial minerals and elements.
Sea salt goes through much less processing which leaves a lot of trace minerals, and it has little additives. This makes sea salt have a lot of benefits you may not normally see in table salt.
The Benefits of Sea Salt
- Hydration: Yes, contrary to what you might think, sea salt can actually help keep you hydrated. Sodium helps the body keep fluids in a normal balance. This also means not enough sodium can lead to dehydration (1)
- Blood pressure levels: For the same reason, Sea salt can also help blood pressure levels
- Source of Minerals: Sea salt has a lot of trace minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium which have a large list of benefits such as Lowering blood pressure (2), Lowering bad cholesterol (3) , And relief from kidney disorders respectively
- Aids Digestion : Chloride is necessary to produce stomach acid, and sodium chloride, also known as salt, helps nutrients get transported to the the intestines after they have been broken down during digestion (4)
- Helps Fight Eczema: From a topical perspective, Sea salt can actually help fight against inflammation caused by eczema and enhance skin hydration if used in a bath (5)